Thursday, January 07, 2010

The City That Never Sleeps... yeah, that suits me




A lot of my friends have asked me what my next project is, or if I'm auditioning for this or that, and I've had to keep skirting the answer with "Oh, I'm just enjoying a break from shows", or "I think I'll be busy". The truth is... and I can finally say it... I'm moving to New York City!


This is completely impractical.

There are better looking, more talented, better connected people that go and don't make it.

I have a good job.

My family and friends are here.

I am building a name for myself here and have lots of opportunities to perform and do good things in Ohio.

I'm 3 years away from 30.


I know. No really, I know. You are reading the words of a person who is at times cripplingly practical. And yet, after years of consideration, I'm ready to try this. I've answered most of these reasons not to do it with a pretty convincing argument. I don't care to list them all here because, frankly, I don't have to convince anyone but myself that it's the right thing to do. But for those of you who care about me and are concerned, it's really going to be OK.

SO... For you who have been so wonderful to me through the years while I've been performing around North East Ohio, thank you so much. I'll keep you posted about my endeavours in the city, and hopefully *knock on wood* I'll get a tour that comes through Ohio and you can see me again! And let's be real, some day I'm probably coming back here. It might even be sooner than I hope, but it certainly won't be with a head held low. For now, this is really what I feel called to do.


Love and Gratitude,
Barry DeBois
www.barrydebois.com

1 comment:

Angela said...

One of the best decisions I've made so far in life was packing up and moving to Chicago without much of a plan. And another one was throwing away everything I had in Chicago to come to grad school.

I support you. Go for your dreams. Even if things work out differently than you expect, I have a feeling that you're going to get a lot of what you need just from a fresh start.

All good things, love. :)

~A~